Frequently Asked Questions
About the gunsmithing program at Yavapai College.
Do I have to take general education classes?
No, only if you want the degree. You may be accepted into, and take Gunsmithing classes without taking or transferring English, Math, Science, etc. but you will not receive the degree upon completion.
What is the cost of tuition?
For Arizona residents: $1,150/Semester (10 credits) as of Fall 2013.
Western States (WUE) include ($1,540/Semester - 10 credits):
- North Dakota
- New Mexico
- South Dakota
Remaining States: $3,750 (10 credits, cost does not include lab fees)
What will I learn?
- Machine shop, a great deal of Gunsmithing is metalworking, therefore considerable amount of time is spent in the shop learning operations and special techniques relevant to the trade.
- Function, disassembly, assembly, and customizing of rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
- Stock making, starting with a blank, duplicate, inlet, bed, fit, shape, install hardware, finish, and checker a stock for your rifle.
- Fitting barrels on rifles and handguns, consisting of threading, chambering, crowning, and custom contours.
- How to correctly and accurately install metallic, and optic sights.
- Metal refinishing, including black oxide, phosphate, slow rust, and nitre bluing.
- Internal and external ballistics.
- Engraving, this is an optional class.